Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Duterte ends speculations; says he’s not running for president

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/07 September) — Davao City Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte apologized to his supporters on Monday after declaring he would not run for president in next year’s elections.
Ending months of waiting and speculations as to his political plans, Duterte told media at the Grand Men Seng Hotel that his family disapproved of his running for the country’s highest position.
“I would like to categorically state now (to end) the agony of those who are waiting na hindi ako tatakbo ng presidente. Wala akong ambition maging presidente sa 2016,” he said.
During the culmination of “Run Duterte Run” caravan on August 28 where some 10,000 supporters showed up at the Rizal Park, Duterte signified his “50-50” interest in running for president, but that his decision would depend on his family’s approval.
He said his daughter, former Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, vehemently disapproved of his running for the presidency.
Speculations that Duterte will run for president heightened after he went to different key cities around the country since last year to push for a shift to federalism.
“I told you it is all about federalism. Gusto ako suportahan pagka-presidente medyo napasubo sila sa desisyon nila because some of them are leaders of national parties,” he said.
Retirement
Duterte said he will retire from public service starting next year and will ask daughter Sara to run again for city mayor.
Duterte, mayor from 1988 to 1998, representative of the first district from 1998 to 2001 and mayor again from 2001 to 2010, served as vice mayor to his daughter-mayor from 2010 to 2013. In 2013, he was elected mayor for the seventh time with son Paolo as vice mayor.
In a chance interview with Davao media on Sept. 1, Paolo said he would give way to his siblings, Sara and Sebastian, should they decide to seek higher positions.
Sebastian has been prodded by a private group to run as the city’s 3rd district representative, succeeding Isidro Ungab who his on his last term as congressman.
Paolo said he will run again as barangay captain of Catalunan Grande, where his wife Councilor January Navares-Duterte is currently the village chief and president of Association of Barangay Councils, rather than putting another Duterte in any higher position in the city.
“Puno na kaayo og Duterte ang syudad sa Davao… didto nalang ko sa ako barangay (Davao City is already full of Dutertes… I’d rather go back to my barangay),” he said.
Peaceful Mindanao. -From mindanews.com

Komentar :

ada 0 comments ke “Duterte ends speculations; says he’s not running for president”

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

CLICK FOR MORE INFORMATION

 

© 2009 Fresh Template. Powered by Blogger.

Fresh Template by NdyTeeN